LAST UPDATED: August 30, 2021 • FIRST PUBLISHED: August 30, 2021
This luscious kale pasta is super easy to make and so comforting! Made with linguine (or your favorite pasta shape) and garlicky sautéed kale in a silky sauce that you'd never guess was dairy-free, this is one easy pasta dinner you'll want to make again and again.
Kale is my favorite healthy comfort food!
Kale? Comfort food, you say? YES! Absolutely. Kale is one of those hearty vegetables that, while super healthy, feels oh so comforting to eat, especially in recipes like this one where it's paired up with pasta and creamy lemon sauce.
I was looking for a delicious way to combine kale and pasta, and I found the solution right here on my blog. This vegan gnocchi recipe features a creamy lemon sauce that checks all the boxes. I adapted it a bit, made the sauce a touch lighter, and we ended up with this delicious vegan kale pasta recipe.Jump to:
- What You'll Need
- How to Make Creamy Kale Pasta
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Kale Recipes
- Creamy Kale Pasta
What You'll Need
- Dried linguine. I like linguine best for this recipe, but you can absolutely substitute your favorite type of pasta.
- Olive oil.
- Lacinato kale. This might also be labelled as Tuscan kale or dinosaur kale at your supermarket. It's identifiable by it's long leaves, dark (almost bluish) green color, and scaly texture. Can't find it? No worries! Good old curly kale will work just fine.
- Flour. This is just to thicken the sauce a bit. The recipe calls for all-purpose flour, but a gluten-free blend should work just fine.
- White wine. Leave this out or substitute with vegetable broth if you'd prefer a no-alcohol version.
- Red pepper flakes. Skip these for a heat-free version of the dish.
- Coconut milk. Use canned full-fat coconut milk for the richest, creamiest sauce. Having said that, if you absolutely hate coconut, feel free to substitute with another unsweetened non-dairy milk. For best results go with something that has a decent amount of fat in it.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt & pepper.
How to Make Creamy Kale Pasta
The following is a summary on how to make this dish, with some tips. Scroll all the way down if you'd prefer to skip right to the recipe!
- Cook your pasta according to the package directions. Be sure to use salted water and save a bit of your pasta cooking water when you drain it.
- While your pasta boils, heat up some olive oil in a skillet. Now add your kale. Make sure you've removed the stems and torn it into bite-sized pieces. It will seem like a lot of kale when you initially add it to the skillet, but it should wilt pretty quickly and reduce in size.
- Move some the kale to the side and add minced garlic. Stir the garlic constantly and be careful not to burn it.
- Now stir in the flour. Keep stirring until it evenly coats the kale and is no longer visible.
- Add the wine and red pepper flakes. Let it simmer for a minute until most of the liquid cooks off.
- Slowly begin stirring in the coconut milk, a bit at a time, then add some salt. Once it's all in, let it simmer for a few minutes, giving the sauce a chance to thicken up.
- Now you can add your cooked pasta and take the skillet off of the stove. If the sauce has gotten too thick, you can thin it with a splash of that pasta cooking water you saved.
- Season the pasta with some lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then dig in!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this dish be made gluten-free?
Yup! Just use gluten-free pasta and an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
Does this dish taste like coconut?
Not to me, but if you absolutely hate the taste of coconut you might want to use a different variety of non-dairy milk.
Can I substitute a different type of green?
Sure! Spinach, chard, or rappini would all be nice. Keep in mind that tougher greens may require extra time to wild, while delicate ones like spinach will cook quicker.
Is pasta vegan?
Most varieties of dried pasta are vegan. Always check the ingredients to be safe though!
More Kale Recipes
- Vegan Zuppa Toscana
- Rosemary Red Bean & Kale Soup
- Creamy Kale Pesto Risotto
- Garlicky Kale Burgers
Creamy Kale Pasta
This luscious kale pasta is super easy to make and so comforting! Made with linguine (or your favorite pasta shape) and garlicky sautéed kale in a silky sauce that you'd never guess was dairy-free, this is one pasta dinner you'll want to make again and again.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 27 minutes
Calories 523 kcal
Author Alissa Saenz
- 10 ounces dried linguine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch (about 12 ounces or 340 grams) lacinato kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Black pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it according to the package directions.
Drain the cooked pasta into a colander and reserve about ½ cup of the pasta boiling water. Toss the pasta with a dash of olive oil to prevent sticking.
Coat the bottom of a large skillet with oil and place it over medium heat.
Give the oil a minute to heat up, then add the kale.
Sauté the kale for 2 to 3 minutes, until it begins to wilt and reduces in volume by about half.
Push the kale to the side to make some space on the surface of the skillet. Add the garlic and sauté it for about 1 minute, until very fragrant.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it evenly coats the kale.
Stir in the wine. Bring it up to a simmer and let it cook for about 3 minutes, until most of the liquid has cooked off.
Slowly begin stirring in the coconut milk, then stir in the salt. Bring the liquid back up to a simmer and let it cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Stir the pasta into the skillet. If the sauce seems too thick, thin it with just a splash of the reserved pasta water.
Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Season the pasta with black pepper and additional salt to taste.
Creamy Kale Pasta
Amount Per Serving
Calories 523 Calories from Fat 202
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 13.9g70%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
About Alissa Saenz
Hi, I'm Alissa! I'm a former attorney turned professional food blogger. I love creating vegan recipes with bold flavors! You can read more about me here.